Welfare and Distress Fund
North Hertfordshire Welfare and Distress Fund is a small independent charity fund administered by North Herts CVS. It is a very small fund and was set up from an investment made in the 1940's when the fund was known as the Letchworth Air-Raid Distress Fund.
Its main aims are to support those North Herts residents who are ‘in need’ with a small grant that may be used to purchase furniture, white goods or other household necessities.
The maximum grant awarded is £250, in 2016/17 66 grants were distributed to families and individuals in need, totalling £11,700.
Applications must be made by professionals such as North Herts Citizens Advice Bureau, Tenancy Support Officers, Social worker's or Children’s Centre staff. Individuals looking for assistance should first contact one of these and have them refer their details through to us, do not contact us directly as we cannot process a grant without a proper referral.
In addition to the range of information, support and services provided to voluntary groups, NHCVS also manages:
- Valuable respite playschemes for children and young people with special needs;
- A busy community transport scheme operating in North Herts and Stevenage, to help those with special access needs;
- The #TeamHerts Volunteering project, which is your one-stop hub for all volunteering opportunities across Hertfordshire;
- Stoneyhall Community centre in the Pin Green area of Stevenage;
- A number of pilot projects related to volunteering and the community;
- There is also a community coffee bar for local residents from all walks of life;
Please click on the links below for more information on these projects